Join the Commute Options Board of Directors
Commute Options is recruiting new Board members.
Commute Options is proud of its long history dedicated to innovative transportation options that connect people of all ages to the places they go – employees to their workplaces, students to their schools, and neighbors within their communities. We champion active transportation and infrastructure improvements, fostering essential partnerships, and educating the community on transportation options.
As we continue to transform our programs and outreach during these challenging times, we need to grow Commute Options’ Board of Directors to include more skills, energy, and viewpoints. Are you looking for a meaningful, substantive opportunity to serve a mission you love, use your most valuable skills, and build new relationships with other leaders in our community that feel the same way? Then we want YOU for Commute Options’ Board.
The current board
Our current Board is a small, but mighty mix of committed commuting enthusiasts in Central Oregon. As a small organization poised for major growth, we’d welcome additional expertise and capacity. We have formed a nominating committee to find at least one, but ideally a few new bees to join our hive.
Who Commute Options’ Board needs
We have some particular gaps in professional expertise that we want to fill on Commute Options Board. If you check any of these boxes, here’s a chance to use your most valuable skills to support an organization and mission that you care about:
- Lawyer. Almost all nonprofit boards have one or more attorneys, but currently we have none. Motion to compel discovery!
- Finance or accounting professional.Commute Options has an accounting consultant and Janet Gregor is currently serving as our treasurer. However, we could still use more balance sheet expertise on the board, and an insider’s view on tax policy would be welcome in the Commute Options brain trust.
- HR professional.The board supports the executive director in all HR functions at Commute Options, as we aren’t big enough to employ that expertise in house. Want to help us make sure we’re managing the team well?
- Grantmaker/funder.We believe that philanthropy can benefit from visibility into the world of 501(c)3 work, and vice versa. Could you be the bridge?
- Transportation expert.The Board’s strategic work could be sharpened by a colleague with a clear perspective on what’s going on locally and regionally in transportation policy across all modes.
- Community-based leader.Commute Options partners in a lot of coalitions that include multiple community-based organizations. This is important work, and we can strengthen it by bringing the board (literally) closer to it.
Commute Options recognizes the need for diverse perspectives and life experiences on its Board of Directors to help shape our work to make the Central Oregon region a more equitable place to live. We want our board to include individuals who belong to groups that have traditionally been marginalized in urban and rural transportation and planning decisions, on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, ability, or other characteristics. We believe inclusion at every level can change how Commute Options works. As a regional organization whose board is primarily made up of Bend residents, we also welcome increased board representation from across the State.
Board member expectations
What does it mean to be a member of Commute Options Board? These are the basic expectations of all members:
- Support good governance, uphold high ethical standards, participate in visioning and strategic planning, engage in careful oversight of financial resources, and serve as a consistent cheerleader for the organization to ensure Commute Options remains a well-operated, mission-driven organization
- Commit to serving for at least one, two-year term
- Attend 6+ board meetings per year and participate in ad hoc meetings on an as-needed basis
- Serve on at least one committee: Budget & Finance, DEI or Executive