Walking School Bus
Fun, safe, physical activity for kids walking to and from school!
A Walking School Bus is a group of students walking to and from school on a planned route with an adult Leader. Much like a school bus, as the students walk to school, they can pick up more classmates along the way.
A big thank you to the Central Oregon Health Council ‘s Cardiovascular Disease and Diabetes Prevention Workgroup and the City of Bend for funding this new Commute Options program!
- The group meets at a designated Meeting Location and follows the planned route.
- Park and Walk: Live too far from school? You can drop off your student at your school’s meeting location.
- To request information about the Walking School Bus program, contact Commute Options.
- For current guidance on starting a walking school bus check out our Walking School Bus Program Model 2020/2021.
- Minutes of physical activity increased!
- Community involvement
- Learn safe walking tips
- Students arrive on time and engaged
- Less congestion at arrival and departure times
- Cleaner air around school
- Support for families – children who need to walk can now walk with a group
- Saving money on gas and time
- Fun for students, families and the community!
We can help you set up a Walking School Bus at your school!
Is your organization interested in bringing the Walking School Bus program to your community? We can provide resources and support to help you set up a program.
Elementary and Middle Schools can have their own Walking School Buses
Commute Options will help initiate this free program for your students
Students can participate by walking or rolling with their scooter or skateboard, along with their helmet
Get your student clubs, parents and staff involved with event days, marketing within the school and the community and getting your Walking School Bus moving!
Contact Commute Options to find out how to get your school involved.
Community Organizations can be a great partnership to bring Walking School Buses to neighborhoods! Your organization can recruit the children already using your facility to provide this free opportunity to them and their families.
A few examples of partners are:
- Boys and Girls Clubs
- Parks and Recreation Districts
- Apartment Complexes
Contact Commute Options to find out how to get your organization involved.