E-Bike Rebate Program
This program is made possible from a Pacific Power E-Mobility Grant received by the City of Bend. 75 qualified participants will received a $2,000 instant rebate to be used toward the purchase of an e-bike. After completing an application, qualified applicants will be chosen from a lottery to receive an e-bike instant rebate.
Qualified applicants are:
- individuals age 18 or older
- residents of the city of Bend
- Pacific Power clients
- at or below 80% of the median area income threshold (full details coming soon)
Upon being awarded the instant rebate, recipients will be required to complete an e-bike safety course.
Applications will be available March 20th, 2023.
Who qualifies for the e-bike instant rebate program?
- Qualified applicants are residents of the City of Bend, have an active Pacific Power account, earn 80% or under of the area median household income (details to be announced soon), and be 18 or older.
- Applicants are committed to using an e-bike for transportation their transportation needs, and will complete an e-bike safety class before receiving the instant rebate.
What do I need to apply?
- Complete application (released in Spring 2023)
- ID (drivers license, passport, or other government ID)
- Copy of your Pacific Power bill
How are applicants selected?
- During this pilot program, 75 qualified applicants will receive an e-bike instant rebate. Applications are taken on a rolling basis, and are placed into a lottery. If you application is chosen from the lottery, and you qualify based on the above, you will be contacted with instructions on how to redeem your instant rebate. If your application is not chosen, it will be held for future lottery drawings.
How much is the instant rebate?
- The instant rebate is for $2,000 towards the purchase of one e-bike.
Where can I redeem my instant rebate?
- Instant rebates can be redeemed at participating local e-bike retailers listed below:
- Bend Velo (341 NE Emerson Ave, Bend, OR 97701)
- Bend Electric Bikes (869 NW Wall St #104, Bend, OR 97703)
- Pedego (25 NW Minnesota Ave #6, Bend, OR 97703)
- Voltaire (2755 NW Crossing Dr Suite 113, Bend, OR 97701)
- Once you determine where you would like to purchase your bike, and which you would like to purchase, you will contact Commute Options and we will pay the money to the participating e-bike retailer. We will provide instruction on how to redeem your instant rebate at that time.
What if the e-bike costs more than $2,000?
- We understand that e-bikes are expensive, and an investment. Please contact us if you have questions or concerns, and to be directed to additional community resources to assist in purchasing your e-bike.
How is this program funded?
- This program is funded by a generous E-Mobility Grant from Pacific Power. These grants are available for communities to allow them to create sustainable, innovative mobility options. The City of Bend was awarded these grant funds in 2022, and Commute Options was chosen as a community partner to administer them.
Are e-bikes safe?
- Like any vehicle (bicycle, car, etc), operating an e-bike comes with risks, and it is important that users comply with all road regulations and use proper equipment. Upon qualifying for this program, instant rebate recipients are required to complete an e-bike safety course before purchase. E-bikes cannot be operated by people under the age of 16 per Oregon State law.
Who can ride an e-bike?
- Anyone over the age of 16 is legally allowed to operate an e-bike. Instant rebate recipients are not to let anyone under the age of 16 operate their e-bike per Oregon State law.
- E-bikes provide ease and access to users 16 and up, and incentivize people to be active, and reduce car usage.
What class of e-bikes are recipients allowed to purchase?
- There is no restriction on the class of e-bikes, though recipients are encouraged to research different e-bike models, and speak with participating retailers to be best matched with an e-bike that meets their needs.
What if the recipients sell their bikes?
- Recipients agree to not sell their bike for up to 2 years after receiving the voucher.
Why is it important to encourage e-bike usage in Bend?
- The cost of living and traffic are rapidly increasing in our community. Gas prices remain high, and many families struggle to find affordable ways to get to where they need to go in a timely manner. E-bikes offer a lower cost option for people to commute to work, get to school, run errands and socialize while simultaneously taking cars off the road.