Job Title: Vanpool & Communication Coordinator
Rate of Pay: 40 hours/week, pay range from $22-23/hour.
Start Date: March 1st, 2022.
Benefits: Starting 60 days after hiring – Medical, Dental, Paid Time Off, IRA plan with monthly employer contribution – Options for additional insurance coverage. Flexible work hours, 50% work in office, 50% remote work (exemptions due to COVID-19).
Application Deadline: 1/31/2022
Job Summary: The Vanpool & Communications Coordinator is responsible for forming new and supporting existing vanpools and broadening the impact of Commute Options’ initiatives with communication to the community. Vanpools are an element of the transit system that allow groups of people to share the ride similar to a carpool, but on a larger scale with concurrent savings in fuel and vehicle operating costs. The Coordinator will promote and market the vanpool program through outreach to employers and employees in the Commute Options service area to increase vanpool participation. The Coordinator will also manage platforms, including websites, social media accounts, email and other dissemination tools. This person will publish and promote marketing, editorial, press release, and fundraising content/campaigns.
Vanpool & Communications Coordinator Job Responsibilities
- 25 hours per week on Vanpool and 15 hours per week communication, 60% vanpool 40% communication.
- Identify and recruit employers to form new vanpools and provide ongoing communications and support. Assess the transportation needs of area businesses to assess readiness to offer vanpooling options.
- Research existing conditions, with email, phone calls, and visits to worksites.
- Manage existing accounts and grow employee participation with those accounts.
- Make vanpool presentations to employer decision makers, employees, the commuting public, community, professional, and social organizations and other vested parties.
- Coordinator will be the contact for the vanpool participants, managing their participation in Get There to log van trips.
- Help secure safe and convenient parking for participants to board the van and park individual vehicles.
- Submit monthly reports on lessons learned, vanpool data from participants, vehicle miles reduced data, and manage vanpool reporting on Get There.
- Work with the Commute with Enterprise vanpool vendor to support successful implementation of vanpools.
- Assist participating employers in establishing incentives to increase employee participation at their work site
- Conduct marketing events and promotions at area businesses to increase awareness and participation in alternative modes of transportation.
- Implement Commute Options’ communication strategy.
- Manage the tone, voice, and content of Commute Options brand presentations across all communication channels, including website, social media, and print and radio.
- Collaborate with Commute Options staff to design and implement project and event-specific communications plans.
- Cultivate media relationships and proactively identify opportunities to raise public awareness of active transportation in Central and Eastern Oregon. Oversee organizational response to media inquiries.
- Manage Commute Options communications; social media, newsletter, blog, articles, press releases, and website.
- Answer phone calls, voicemails, emails to firstname.lastname@example.org promptly with accurate information and strong customer service.
- Work with the executive director on new projects as needed and directed.
- Perform other work assigned by the executive director for the further development of the agency.
Desired Skills and Responsibilities
- Handles Conflict & Difficult Situations – Listens well and seeks understanding and resolution even with disagreeable people.
- Stress Management – Accepts pressure and maintains composure and perspective in tense situations and under deadlines with funders, donors, community partners and members, Board, and staff.
- Detail Oriented & Quality Focus – Verifies all work. Recognizes and addresses flaws or errors. Receives constructive criticism and seeks to improve.
- Organization and technology skills – Able to update and add to Google Drive systems and support staff with minor technology updates.
- Interpersonal Communication – Builds rapport with a positive and collaborative attitude with all levels of people within the organization and outside.
- Nonprofit & Job-Specific Knowledge – Understands transit industry and active transportation issues and its standards, practices, and processes.
- Comfortable and adept at making presentations to small and large audiences.
- Articulate, persistent, performance driven, results oriented, and a sense of humor.
- Work well in a team environment.
- Organized, punctual and a self-starter who can work with minimal supervision.
- Experience in customer service and responding to customer inquiries.
- Embraces the mission of Commute Options.
- Four-year college degree in business, communication, marketing or a related field, or experience commensurate with education.
- 2-3 years’ work experience in outside sales, preferably selling a product or service
- Relevant experience with a thorough knowledge of marketing, communications, social media and engagement strategies.
- Bilingual in both English and Spanish preferred.*
- Always demonstrate professional conduct.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Possess the skills to work with a team and participate with a focus on collaboration.
- Knowledge in transportation options industry principles and laws.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google Drive, social media, Adobe Creative Suite, and WordPress.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Project management experience.
- Brand development/management experience.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to complete tasks efficiently.
- A flexible, collaborative nature and a good sense of humor.
- Experience maintaining positive relationships with a diverse array of internal and external stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of the nonprofit sector is preferred.
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States of America.
*Bilingual is defined as being able to speak fluent Spanish (native speaker or have native fluency) with clear, effective communication skills (both written and verbal), with a strong grasp of transportation terms. Bilingual candidates will receive a pay differential.
Please review the full job description (English, Spanish), and send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com. Please apply before January 31st to ensure consideration. BIPOC, LGBTQIA, women and Latino community members are strongly encouraged to apply.
Commute Options Mission Statement
Commute Options increases access to transportation options across Oregon.
Commute Options Vision Statement
We envision communities using safe, convenient, and reliable transportation options that result in healthier individuals, a cleaner environment, and a stronger economy.
About Commute Options
Commute Options is organized as a private non-profit community development corporation and has charitable tax-exempt status under Section 501 (c) 3 of the Internal Revenue Code. Our Board of Directors provides leadership and direction for the organization, and our executive director (ED) manages the daily functions of the organization. Commute Options is dedicated to innovative transportation options that connect people of all ages to the places they go – employees to their workplaces, students to their schools, and neighbors within their communities. We champion active transportation and infrastructure improvements, fostering essential partnerships, and educating the community on transportation options.
There’s a lot going on at Commute Options which brings together a dynamic group of people with many different talents, all working together to pull everything off successfully. Join the Commute Options team to interact with a great group of co-workers, board members, program users, donors, partners, and vendors. Through building positive relationships based on mutual respect, support and trust in each other, we can all succeed in our work we do together each day. Be a part of our mission to be a community leader and educational resource.