Park & Walk
A Park & Walk encourages families to park a few blocks away from school and walk the short distance to school together. This is a fun way for students and families to connect with one another, while reducing traffic congestion and vehicle emissions around schools.
A predetermined parking lot acts as the meeting area for families who drive and then park and walk the remaining distance to school. There can be a designated adult volunteers to walk groups of children from the parking area to school.
Strategy: Park and walk
Instead of driving to the school, families drive to a remote parking lot and walk the remainder of the trip.
- Includes families who live too far to walk or have an unsafe route.
- Encourages neighborhood involvement.
- Reduces traffic congestion at the school.
- Requires identifying a safe route from the parking area to the school – See our Recommended Walking and Rolling Routes.
- May need permission from the parking lot owner.
Quick steps to a park and walk activity
- Locate a parking lot within walking distance of the school. Work with lot owner to allow use.
- Map a safe route to school from parking area.
- Recruit volunteers if parents are not required to walk with their children.
- Promote it.
- Kick off.
- Track participation.
- Make changes to the activity as needed.
Want help setting up your Park and Walk, registering participants and volunteers – contact us today!