Our friends at the Oregon Department of Transportation recently shared some tips on how to get to your destination safely, whether biking, rolling, walking or driving, while helping your fellow commuters get there safely too!
- While driving:
- Always have an eye out for people walking, bicycling, and also rolling on skateboards, scooters, wheelchairs, etc., especially during dark hours.
- When you are entering a popular bike or pedestrian area, expect that you may encounter them and slow down ahead of time.
- Be prepared to stop when approaching crosswalks and never pass a stopped car at a crosswalk, they may be stopped for someone in the crosswalk.
- Drive at cautious speeds in rainy weather and in low-light areas.
- Avoid distractions such as cell phones so you can focus on driving. Remember, road conditions can impact your stopping ability, so be prepared.
- Only pass bicyclists if it is safe to do so; slow down and give plenty of room.
- Make it a habit to search and scan for people walking, bicycling, and other types of rolling activities the same way you do for other motor vehicles. That way, you’ll get where you’re going safely, with less worry – and so will everyone else.
- For people bicycling:
- Stay alert and ride predictably. Never assume motorists can see you.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic, not against traffic, and in a single file.
- Always wear your helmet.
- Use bike lanes when available. Bike lanes provide a safe space just for bicyclists.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals. Look left, right, and left again to ensure your path is clear.
- Be visible. Wear bright clothing and reflective materials when you ride.
- Use a white front light, red rear light, and reflectors at night.
- Pay attention to traffic. Avoid using headphones or cell phones while you bike.
- Signal before making a turn or before stopping to warn traffic and other people riding behind you.
For more tips and information on safe commuting, check out the ODOT Transportation Safety Newsletter. Let’s get there safely, together!