Already have an action plan?
This free training is for educators and coordinators within a school, district or community who want to create fun, convenient and safe opportunities for children to walk and bike to and from school. You will learn about Safe Routes for Kids/Neighborhood Navigators Curriculum, evaluation techniques and tools, how to organize and lead Bike Trains and Walking School Buses and much more! Each team who completes a training can apply for a $1000 stipend to complete actionable items within their Action Plan.
Oregon Safe Routes to School Training
By the end of the Safe Routes to School Coordinator training, participants will:
• Be introduced to the Safe Routes for Kids/Neighborhood Navigators Curriculum focusing on both the in-class and on-street lessons.
• Understand evaluation techniques including Parent Surveys and Teacher Tallies.
• Learn and demonstrate bicycle safety expertise, navigating safely and legally with traffic.
• Have an overview understanding of statewide Safe Routes to School in Oregon.
• Learn and demonstrate basic bicycle maintenance skills commonly encountered in lessons and be able to identify and use basic maintenance tools.
• Understand the function of an school or district Action Plan and begin planning for next steps within the schools.
• Understand the five E’s of Safe Routes to School (Education, Encouragement, Enforcement, Engineering and Evaluation)
• Have the knowledge to successfully organize and lead Bike Trains and Walking School Buses.
• Understand the importance of relationships with local police department and outreach opportunities.
• Have considered challenges and solutions to implementing the five E’s of Safe Routes to School, with particular emphasis on Education and Encouragement activities.
The structure of this 1.5-day workshop will be a series of presentations and small group activities designed to engage all participants and gain knowledge and skills from peers as well as the workshop leader. Please be ready to ride a bike, go for walks and take on the role of educator and encouragement leader. This is a fun opportunity to learn from peers in active transportation and education.
Questions? Please contact:
Brian Potwin brian(at)commuteoptions(dot)org
50 SW Bond St. Suite 4
Bend, OR 97702